Saturday, June 12, 2010

Most Betanews readers won't buy iPhone 4

On June 9, I asked: "Will you buy an Apple iPhone 4?" The answers are in via e-mail and comments. They are surprising, because they're so polarized. There aren't so many "maybes" among you as I expected. The majority of commenters are saying "No" to iPhone 4. The split is more two-thirds "Yes" among the people who sent e-mail.
I want to point out two differences from this post and others like it. Firstly, the comments are longer; I did less editing for space. Secondly, I only used comments or e-mail responses from people whose full names are clearly identified. However, the comments are still representative of them all.
Something else: There is no balance here. The majority of respondents say they won't buy an iPhone. Balancing out to get an equal number buying and not purchasing would be unfair to the respondents and would mischaracterize their responses. Perhaps a different group of readers, such as one of the Mac blogs, would be more enthusiastic about iPhone. Among Betanews readers choosing to answer the question, the majority aren't planning on buying iPhone 4.
Three trends emerge from this arguably unscientific survey of Betanews readers:
1. AT&T's network will keep away potential iPhone buyers or upgraders.
2. A surprising number of existing iPhone owners won't upgrade. That says something about current satisfaction with currently-owned iPhones and the limited appeal of the new model's features. Apple may already have saturated the market for existing customers, which is a typical phenomenon. It's never a question of if this happens but when.
3. Smartphone buyers have more choices during this iPhone release cycle than any other, and they are making them. Many respondents have recently purchased or soon plan to buy another smartphone.

Source Beata News

No comments:

Post a Comment